Thursday, December 11, 2008

Heather Harden



I will always remember as a little girl my friends asking, “Why does your Mommy make you eat brown bread?”, or, “Why do you eat adult cereal?” Or, my favorite, “What do you mean you don’t have any Kool-aid?” Back when healthy nutritional-food wasn’t as popular, my mom would go against the grain to make sure my little body was getting what it needed to grow. In high school, my Great Grandmother came to live with us. She also taught me the importance of eating a nutrient filled diet. Her favorite staples were salmon, brown rice and sweet potatoes. After I started having babies, she sent me a letter asking if they were getting their omega 3 oils because their little brains needed it. I love her! I will always be so grateful for the knowledge they taught me at such an early age. That knowledge is now being carried on to the next generation.

Now that I am married with four small children, I am trying my hardest to teach them the importance of taking care of their bodies. I love teaching my children and husband about healthy foods and explaining to them why our bodies need them. I especially love watching them eating and enjoying healthy foods. It isn’t always easy to get them to eat the healthy alternatives but I do my best to find fun, family friendly recipes that they really enjoy. One of my favorite things to do is finding and making healthier desserts for them to enjoy.

I truly believe the way we feed ourselves not only physically, but spiritually and mentally can make a huge difference in our lives. I also believe that teaching children this important knowledge from an early age will help guide them to make good healthy choices as they grow up. I hope that you will enjoy my family friendly recipes and ideas. If you have questions or requests, please don’t hesitate to let me know.